Rashtrapati Bhavan withdraws statement on Bangladesh PM visit

Rashtrapati Bhavan on Friday withdrew a statement concerning the Change of Guard ceremony at the presidential residence, less than an hour after the announcement was issued.

The original communication said the weekly ceremony scheduled for Saturday, August 22, would not be held because of preparations for the ceremonial reception of Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman.

A later communication from the President’s Office said the earlier release had been withdrawn.

A ceremonial welcome for a visiting head of government normally includes formal protocol involving the armed forces, national anthems and introductions involving the Indian President and Prime Minister.

Rahman, who leads the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, is expected to travel to New Delhi from August 23 to 25. The proposed visit comes against the backdrop of developments surrounding former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and discussions over her extradition. However, at the time the statement was withdrawn, neither New Delhi nor Dhaka had officially confirmed the detailed schedule.