Eleven people electrocuted during temple festival in Thanjavur

Eleven people were electrocuted and several others were injured during a temple festival at Kalimedu town in Tamil Nadu’s Thanjavur district. An electric wire got entangled with the temple chariot while it was being pulled by devotees, resulting in the death of 10 people, including two children.

The 94th Appar Gurupoojai (festival for Lord Ayyapa) was celebrated on Tuesday night, April 26. There was a large crowd of people from nearby areas who were participating in the event.

Devotees participating in the event were pulling the temple chariot through the streets when an electric wire got entangled in the chariot as it was being turned. This resulted in the instant electrocution of 10 people, including 2 children. All of them died on the spot.

Several others who were injured in the incident were taken to the nearby hospital where they are currently undergoing treatment. The situation was all the more dangerous, and more people could have died in the incident, as there were puddles of water all around the area.

A massive loss of life was averted as nearly 50 people stepped away from the temple chariot,which was surrounded by puddles, after the electrocution.