- Of the surveyed shoppers who discover beauty and fashion brands on social media, 92% beauty shoppers and 97% fashion shoppers discover them on Meta platforms.
- Instagram Reels is playing a leading role in aiding discovery for beauty and fashion brands, as per the study.
Meta has today unveiled key consumer behavior findings from two studies focused on the beauty and the fashion segments in India. The two studies reveal the impactful role of Meta platforms, especially Instagram Reels, in brand and product discovery within the beauty and fashion industry. Moreover, the studies also highlight the increasing role of creators and augmented reality (AR) in influencing purchase decisions.
The findings are from a Meta-commissioned online study by consumer insights platform GWI across internet users in India. The two reports shed light on the evolving consumer behaviour amongst beauty and fashion shoppers and provide key insights to marketers and brands from the industry.
Meghna Apparao, Director, e-commerce and retail for Meta in India, shared “The insights reveal the extent to which immersive technologies such as AR, and content creators are disrupting the expanding beauty and fashion industries in India. Both beauty and fashion verticals are growing strongly on Meta platforms and an increasing number of advertisers from these verticals are turning to Instagram Reels for engagement and business growth.”
The beauty report finds that there has been a significant shift in consumer preferences post pandemic with 68% of beauty buyers now favoring online purchases—a remarkable 15% increase from pre-Covid levels. Notably, 80% of surveyed shoppers discover beauty brands on social media with 92% finding them on Meta platforms, including 47% via Instagram Reels. The study also shows a rising awareness of augmented reality (AR) with 80% of beauty consumers acknowledging its presence. Specifically, 75% claim that virtual try-ons, especially for lipsticks, increase their likelihood of purchasing beauty products online.
The fashion study showed that 76% of consumers discover fashion brands on social media, with a significant 97% discovering through Meta platforms, of which 52% credit it to Instagram Reels. Notably, 39% proceeded to purchase after finding them on Reels. AR is gaining popularity in the fashion industry as well with 80% of the participants being already aware of it. 78% agree that virtual try-ons encourage them to buy online.
The studies also highlight how Indian consumers largely rely on Indian creators for authentic information and reviews, particularly as the interest in content made by influencers has grown dramatically. The study revealed that 2 out of 3 viewers of fashion content and 7 out of 10 viewers of beauty content follow Indian influencers, which significantly influences their purchasing decisions.
- Online shopping trends: Both reports revealed that consumers are increasingly shopping online for their beauty and fashion purchases. Beauty consumers are more likely to be buying online than in-store across makeup, skincare and haircare categories. For instance, 41% of beauty buyers prefer to shop online due to deals/discounts and 40% due to convenience. When it comes to fashion consumers, 38% shop online due to good ratings/reviews and 37% for deals/discounts. Nearly a third of surveyed respondents – 34% for cosmetics/fragrances, 32% for skincare and 29% for haircare – buy beauty products weekly online.
- AR Appeal: The most interesting trend revealed in these reports is the role of AR and virtual try-ons in consumers’ purchasing journeys. Consumers are increasingly aware of AR technology, with 75% of beauty and 78% of fashion consumers stating that virtual product try-ons encourage them to make online purchases.
- Content and Influencer: Consumer interest in content created by influencers has grown dramatically. Despite the rise in content and creators worldwide, Indian consumers rely on Indian creators for authentic information and reviews. The data showed that 7 out of 10 beauty content viewers and 2 out of 3 fashion content viewers watch Indian influencers, which has a big impact on their buying decisions. The study showed that lack of reviews are just as bad as negative ones, which underscores the importance of influencers.
- Meta’s Role in Beauty and Fashion Discovery: The research reaffirms Meta’s role in assisting our users in discovering new beauty and fashion brands and products. The research shows that 80% and 76% of the people surveyed discover beauty and fashion brands respectively on social media platforms. Out of these, 92% find beauty and 97% find fashion brands through Meta channels. Instagram Reels plays a leading role in their discovery with 33.3% (1 in 3) beauty consumers and 39% of fashion consumers purchase products via Instagram Reels.
- Purchase Drivers: Positive product reviews and authenticity are two of the biggest factors influencing beauty and fashion consumers’ decisions to buy. Good reviews influence 45% of beauty and 39% of fashion shoppers, while product authenticity is important to 45% and 41% of beauty and fashion shoppers, respectively.