Are you thinking of studying abroad but unable to spend a huge amount of money on foreign education? Then, Study in Germany is the best option for you. The high-ranked universities and world-class education system make Germany quite an attractive destination among the foreign students.
It is one of the cheapest study destinations in Europe. As compared to the other countries cost of education in Germany is almost nil but students have to pay the living expenses like other European countries. Education at Public universities funded by the goavernment is almost free. But private universities charge a considerable amount from students. This makes the option of having Scholarships extremely vital. Let’s have a look at the scholarship tests available to Study in Germany
A various number of scholarships are available for the students who want to Study in Germany. These Scholarships are divided into three categories which are as follows:
• Government-funded scholarships
• Non-government funded scholarships
• University-specific scholarships
Top Government Funded Scholarships
DAAD (DeutscherAkademischerAustauschdienst) Scholarships
A union of the top German universities, The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers a number of scholarships to international scholars. It offers a course-specific scholarship for undergraduate, graduate and Ph.D. programs.
Erasmus Scholarship invites students from all over the world to study master programmes at the top-ranked universities in Germany and also grants living expenses incurred by students.
Top Non-Government Funded Scholarships
Heinrich Böll Scholarships for International Students
This scholarship is available to the foreign students to study undergraduate, postgraduate as well as Ph.D. programmes as per the guidelines issued by Germany’s Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the foreign office. The scholarship is awarded annually on the basis of merit and academic excellence. To avail the scholarship, the applications are invited on summer and winter sessions.
Humboldt Research Fellowships for Postdoctoral Researchers
This scholarship is awarded to post-doctoral researchers who want to do research in Germany for 6 – 24 months. All nationality students can apply for this scholarship. Approximately 500 research scholarships are granted every year.
Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung (KAS) Scholarships
Students who want to pursue Masters, Postgraduate and doctoral programmes can apply for this scholarship. This scholarship is available in all disciplines and awarded to those students who have shown academic excellence and outstanding social or political commitment. The upper age limit for the students to avail this scholarship is 30 years.
Kurt Hansen Science Scholarships
This scholarship is funded by the Bayer Foundation and available for the students who are getting trained to become educators in the field of Science.
The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung
The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung is a political foundation which offers financial help to both the International and German students. The awarded student will receive up to 1,000 EUR/month covering enrolment fees, the health insurance and the required books/ study material etc.
This scholarship is awarded to students and undergraduates who show promise in academics and their future career. The amount of scholarship is provided on the basis of merit with no regards to Nationality and Income.
Types of University-specific Scholarships
1. DRD Scholarship for Sub-Saharan Africans
2. Frankfurt School of Finance and Management Doctoral Tuition Waivers
3. FRIAS Co-fund Fellowship Programme for International Researchers
4. Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Masters Scholarships
5. Heidelberg University
6. HHL International MSc Scholarship for Effective and Responsible Leadership
7. Humboldt University International Research Fellowships
8. International Doctoral Positions at Graduate School of East and Southeast European Studies
9. KAAD Scholarships for Developing Countries
10. Kofi Annan MBA Scholarship for Developing Country Students
Important Tips Before Applying for Scholarship
• Students are advised to check the deadline before submitting the scholarship application
• Carefully read the eligibility criteria thoroughly and make sure you fit for it. If you have any doubt regarding the same then feel free to contact the scholarship provider for the clarification.
• Always apply for more than one scholarship to improve your chances of receiving one.