The Tamil Nadu government has decided to transfer investigation into over 50 cases of sexual abuse against women in Pollachi against four accused persons to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), following massive outrage by people in the state.
Actor and Makkal Needhi Maiam founder Kamal Haasan on Tuesday met the police chief of Tamil Nadu and expressed his anguish. He urged the police to speed up the investigations and give justice to the women, who are mostly college students.
The police claimed that a group of repeat offenders targeted women students on social media over the last seven years. The women were first sent messages on social media, and later invited for dinners and long drives. The accused would “first win their confidence” and later sexually abuse them, the police said.
The police sources said the same gang had lured over 55 women in the past seven years, and so far there is just one complaint against the accused. The reason the case is transferred to the CBI is to probe the network behind the incidents.
In February, a woman was sexually harassed by four men inside a car in Pollachi district and the act was videographed by the gang that blackmailed her for money. Unable to bear the trauma, the woman informed her family who later filed a police complaint against the four men.
An AIADMK worker was sacked from the party on Monday for assaulting the brother of Pollachi sexual abuse survivor.
The decision to hand over the case to CBI came on Tuesday, hours after the case was handed over to the CB-CID and the four accused were booked under the controversial Goondas Act.
“The State government has decided to hand over the case to CBI. The CB-CID will inquire the case till the CBI takes over,” DGP TK Rajendran said in Chennai.