Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit denied on Saturday reports in a section of media that he had sent to the Centre a report on the State Cabinet’s resolution recommending the release of the seven life convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
Referring to the debates aired on some television channels over the issue, a press release from Raj Bhavan said that no reference had been made to the Ministry in the matter.
It said: “A Section of the media has been reporting that in the matter of the release of the convicted prisoners undergoing life imprisonment for involvement in the assassination of the former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, a reference has been made to the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
Some Television Channels have been conducting debates on this assumption. It is clarified that no reference has been made to the Ministry of Home Affairs in the matter.
The case is a complex one and involves the examination of legal, administrative and Constitutional issues. The records which are voluminous are being received from the State Government, with the connected Judgments having been handed over to Raj Bhavan on 14/09/2018 only.
All efforts will be taken to process the papers
scrupulously. Necessary consultation may be carried out, when required, in due course. The decision will be taken in a just and fair manner and in accordance with the Constitution.”