SSI murder: Terrorists say they wanted to threaten govt, police

The prime suspects in the case pertaining to the gunning down of Special Sub-Inspector of Police Wilson at a check-post near Kaliyakkavilai on January 8, who were subsequently nabbed at Uduppi in Karnataka on Tuesday, were remanded in judicial custody till Monday (January 20).

The NIA is also expected to take over the case relating to the killing of Wilson, who was shot dead by two IS suspects at Kaliyakkavilai in Kanyakumari district on January 8.

“The district police registered a case under IPC section 302 (for murder) and the Arms Act. If the case is also registered under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), then can we take it over for further investigation. We are, however, closely monitoring the case,” a source was quoted as saying by TOI.

Inivestigations with the two suspects by Kanniyakumari police in the murder of Special Sub Inspector Wilson suggest that the duo had shot dead the policeman to “threaten the police and state administration” as a retaliation for the arrest of their associates.

Speaking to reproters, District Superintendent of Police Sreenath said: “The combined efforts of Tamil Nadu Q-branch, Udupi district police and Kanniyakumari police helped arrest the duo. A team of two Deputy Superintendents of Police (DSP) and 20 police personnel, headed by the SP, brought the suspects from Udupi.”

The two terror suspects Abdul Shameem and Taufeeq, who were picked up at the Udupi Railway Station in Karnataka on Tuesday for their suspected role in Wilson’s murder, were produced before a court in Kanyakumari district late Thursday evening and remanded in judicial custody. They have been lodged at the Palayamkottai Central Prison.

Sreenath said, “The two accused were upset over the arrest of their accomplices and killed Wilson in an act of revenge and to teach the police and administration a lesson.” They killed the officer at Kaliyakkavilai as they were familiar with the place, he said.