Shocking details about Vadapalani fire mishap

Shocking details about Vadapalani fire mishap

Four persons — two women and two children — of a family died of asphyxiation due to smoke caused by a fire in a five-storeyed apartment complex in Vadapalani in the early hours of Monday.

It has emerged that the building was not having necessary approvals. Also, it is said horses and other animals used for film shoots were kept in the ground floor.

Chennai Collector V Anbuselvan said a probe was underway into the incident and that it would cover various aspects, including the cause of the fire.

Tamil Nadu Health Secretary J Radhakrishnan said a “full team of doctors” was attending to the injured persons.

Anbuselvan said 21 vehicles were gutted. The government would extend all medical assistance to the injured. Officials are conducting an inquiry into the incident.

Only after completion of enquiry would the cause of the fire will be known, an official said. In case of any violation, strict action would be taken against persons who were responsible for the accident, he added.

The Vadapalani police registered a case and has summoned the building owner Vijayakumar for an inquiry.