1. This is an unprecedented THIRTEENTH investment in Jio Platforms within Twelve weeks (since 22nd April, 2020).
2. The investment is upto ₹ 730 crore for a 0.15 % stake in Jio Platforms. Qualcomm is one of the pioneering companies in the technology space and is admired and respected for its innovation and breadth of technology expertise.
3. With this investment, Jio Platforms has raised ₹ 118,318.45 crore from leading technology investors including Facebook, Silver Lake Partners (two investments), Vista Equity Partners, General Atlantic, KKR, Mubadala, ADIA, TPG, L Catterton, PIF, Intel Capital and Qualcomm Ventures. At ₹ 118,318.45 crore, it is the largest continuous funds raise by a company anywhere in the world. It is remarkable that this was done amidst a global lock-down, clearly signifying India’s digital potential and Jio’s business strategy.
4. Qualcomm’s investment is at a similar valuation to the other recent investments in Jio – equity valuation of ₹ 4.91 Lakh crore and enterprise valuation of ₹ 5.16 Lakh crore
5. This investment is another strong endorsement of Jio’s tech capabilities, disruptive business model and secular long-term growth potential
6. This investment further reaffirms Jio’s continuing attraction among global investors for:
a. being the best representative of India’s digital potential
b. deep understanding of the Indian markets,
c. the rapid digitisation opportunity post-covid and
d. capabilities to bring cutting-edge technologies and tools such as AI, Blockchain, AR/VR, Big data into play for all Indians
7. As the venture capital investment group of Qualcomm Incorporated, a world leader in next-generation wireless technologies, Qualcomm Ventures, through affiliated entities, including Qualcomm Ventures LLC, has been making investments in technology companies that have the potential to dramatically transform our world since 2000.
8. As a global investor, Qualcomm is focused on building the connections that bring our mobile future forward. It is helping to accelerate innovation in the mobile ecosystem by bridging entrepreneurs to the resources, relationships and deep industry expertise they need to scale their businesses. It brings Domain Expertise and unparalleled knowledge and understanding of mobile compute and connectivity. It provides a Powerful Network – Connections to an entire ecosystem of industry leaders including OEMs, technology experts and VC partners. And it brings Global Presence – deep understanding of international markets, with local experts in eight regions across the globe.
9. Qualcomm Ventures has 140+ active portfolio companies. Investing in startups targeting the wireless ecosystem, the group focuses on investments in the sectors of automotive, data center and enterprise, digital health, Internet of Things (IoT), and mobile.
10. Qualcomm is an American public multinational corporation headquartered in San Diego, California and incorporated in Delaware. It creates intellectual property, semiconductors, software, and services related to wireless technology. Qualcomm was established in 1985.