A case of sexual assault and extortion of a college student in Tamil Nadu’s Pollachi has been handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The state government had earlier recommended the transfer of the case to the central probing agency and received the go-ahead from Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit on Wednesday.
The case relates to allegations that a gang of four men have been befriending hundreds of women on social media and then sexually molesting them, since 2013.
In some cases, the men shot explicit videos of the women and used those to blackmail their victims, police said. Four men – N Satish, N Sabarirajan, T Vasanthakumar and K Thirunavukkarasu – have been arrested in Pollachi in connection with the case. The four are now in judicial custody.
Although the Tamil Nadu government gave its nod for a CBI probe into the Pollachi sexual assault-cum-blackmail case, security was heightened and holidays declared in colleges here on Thursday with stirs gaining momentum as more awful facts of the abuse came out.
Stringent security has been put in place ever since details of how scores of women from college teachers to students even working professionals and others were sexually assaulted, harassed and blackmailed by the gang came to light.
In a blunder that evoked criticism from various quarters, the Tamil Nadu Government has revealed the identity of a 19-year-old sexual harassment victim and identified her college in an order it issued to transfer the case to Central Bureau of Investigation.
The order signed by Niranjan Mardi, Home Secretary of Tamil Nadu government, said the administration was transferring the investigations into the case to the CBI under section 6 of the Delhi Special Police Establishment Act, 1946 on the advice of Director General of Police T K Rajendran.