Close on the heels of the deadly Sivakasi crackers godown mishap, fireworks stored at a private IAS coaching academy in Coimbatore exploded on Friday evening, and six people were admitted to hospital after they suffered suffocation. One lost his life.
The fireworks explosion happened in a three-storey building which houses a free IAS coaching academy run by a private mill. Crackers were stored in one room in the ground floor. The fireworks were meant for distribution to the employees of the mill.
The deceased has been identified as 23-year-old Shaktivel, who was also a student of KPR academy in Gandhi Park and died on the way to the hospital. The five injured students have been admitted to a nearby hospital with burn injuries.
The five are identified as Gayathri, Muthu, Vijayalakshmi, Aranganathan and Girish Raja. According to initial reports, the fire caught between 4 pm to 5pm on Friday at godown located near the basement of the building.
Students rushed out, and so did the faculty. But a few were caught inside. Fire and Rescue Services personnel who rushed to the spot evacuated those trapped and rushed them to the Coimbatore Medical College Hospital.
District collector T N Hariharan and other senior officials visited the spot. On Thursday, eight people, including six women, were killed in a fire cracker mishap at Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district.