Kamal gets relief from court, alleges harassment by cops

The Madras High Court has exempted Kamal Haasan from being present at EVP Film City at Chembarambakkam to reconstruct the scene of a crane accident at the spot during the shooting for the movie Indian-2, which led to the death of three crew members on February 19.

Justice G K  Ilanthiraiyan granted the exemption after being convinced with the submissions of senior counsel Satish Parasaran and advocate Vijayan Subramanian that the actor’s presence was not required at the spot. He, however, granted liberty to the police to issue summons to the actor if they wanted to inquire him elsewhere.

The actor stated that it was not necessary for him to be at the ‘accident site’ for reconstruction as he is merely an actor and that the movie is produced by Lyca Productions. There is no precedent of a ‘hero’ being questioned, Haasan added.

The actor’s party – Makkal Needhi Maiam – had issued a statement earlier asking the Tamil Nadu Government to stop harassing him through the police. The party further said the state government was doing this on purpose as his party secured good votes in the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.

The petitioner contended he was only the hero of the movie had no control over the production or over the staff engaged. Alleging that the second summons had been issued by the CCB with an intention to harass him, Haasan wanted the court to intervene.

Prosecution submitted that Hassan was only a witness and if any exception was given to him, all others would also seek similar relief. The Judge, however, exempted Hassan from appearance for reconstruction purpose and disposed of the petition.

The APP said, “If the actor was in his residence at Eldams Road in Chennai when the accident took place on February 19 and still we insist on his presence for reconstruction of the scene of occurrence, he can claim it to be harassment. How can he claim so when he had admitted to be just a few metres away from the crane crash site?”