Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade(DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 2nd December 2020, in the field of Intellectual Property Cooperation with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Department of Commerce of the United States of America. Dr. Guruprasad Mohapatra, Secretary, DPIIT and Mr. Andrei Iancu, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property & Director, United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) conducted a virtual signing ceremony for the same.
The Union Cabinet in its meeting dated 19.02.2020 gave the approval for signing the MoU with United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in the field of IP Cooperation. The MoU aims at increasing IP co-operation between the two countries by way of:
- Facilitating exchange and dissemination of best practices, experiences and knowledge on IP among the public, and between and among the industry, universities, research and development (R & D) organizations, and Small and Medium-sized Enterprises through participation in programs and events organized singly or jointly by the Participants;
- Collaboration in training programs, exchange of experts, technical exchanges and outreach activities;
- Exchange of information and best practices on processes for registration and examination of applications for patents, trademarks, copyrights, geographical indications, and industrial designs, as well as the protection, enforcement and use of IP rights;
- Exchange of information on the development and implementation of automation and modernization projects, new documentation and information systems in IP and procedures for management of IP Office services;
- Cooperation to understand various issues related to traditional knowledge, and the exchange of best practices, including those related to traditional knowledge databases and awareness raising on the use of existing IP systems for the protection of traditional knowledge; and
- Other cooperation activities as may be mutually decided by the Participants.
The two side will draw up Biennial Work Plan to implement the MoU which will include the detailed planning for carrying out of the co-operation activities including the scope of action.
The MoU will go a long way in fostering the cooperation between India and USA, and provide opportunities to both countries to learn from the experience of each other, especially in terms of best practices followed in the other country. It will be a landmark step forward in India’s journey towards becoming a major player in global innovation and will further the objectives of National IPR Policy, 2016.
YB/AP / (Release ID: 1678004)