India’s Armed forces stock up war reserves in the wake of escalating conflict with China. However, the possibility of a broader armed conflict between India and China is unlikely, analysts said, despite an escalation in recent border clashes high in the Himalayas that led to casualties for the first time in more than four decades.
India’s foreign ministry said a “violent face-off” occurred on Monday evening along the border in the Galwan Valley in Ladakh, where soldiers from both sides have been locked in a standoff since last month.
United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has expressed concern on the reports of violent clashes between India and China on the Line of Actual Control and urged both sides to exercise maximum restraint
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi tweeted: “Why is the PM silent?
Why is he hiding?
Enough is enough. We need to know what has happened.
How dare China kill our soldiers?
How dare they take our land?.”
The LAC violence has come at a time India faces some serious challenges in its neighbourhood, most notably in Nepal where a belligerent and pro-China government seems to believe it can rid the strategic Lipulekh Pass on the India-Nepal-China tri-junction of India’s presence, much to Beijing’s advantage.
“Indian and Chinese troops have disengaged at the Galwan area where they had earlier clashed on the night of 15/16 June 2020. 17 Indian troops who were critically injured in the line of duty at the stand off location and exposed to sub-zero temperatures in the high altitude terrain have succumbed to their injuries, taking the total that were killed in action to 20. Indian Army is firmly committed to protect the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the nation,” the Army said in a statement.
The last deaths at the LAC were in 1975 when an Indian patrol was ambushed by Chinese soldiers in Arunachal Pradesh. A violent clash between the two sides on the border had taken place at Nathu La in 1967.