A gas leak in a chemical factory in Maharashtra’s Badlapur reported late last night created panic among the locals. Several people, over a three-kilometre area, complained of breathlessness and a burning sensation in the eyes after the leak at Nobel Intermediates Pvt Ltd company at Shirgaon MIDC.
The incident took place at 10:22 pm on Thursday, said the Thane Municipal Corporation, adding that the situation was brought under control within an hour.
“A gas leak from a factory in Maharashtra’s Badlapur was reported at around 10:22 pm on Thursday. People in the area were having trouble breathing. Fire brigade stopped the leak at 11:24 pm. The situation is under control. No one injured,” the Thane Municipal Corporation was quoted saying by news agency ANI.
The corporation said there was overheating resulting in a chemical reaction that caused the gas leak.
As a measure of precaution, a few people were admitted to nearby hospitals and released after they were given medical assistance.