A fire broke out at a lab in the Indian Institute of Technology-Madras in the city on Tuesday but no one was injured, police said.
The incident happened at the rocket and missiles laboratory of the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras on Tuesday morning. Explosives, propellants and equipment were gutted in the fire.
Some construction labourers and private security personnel noticed the fire and alerted the IIT security staff.
The fire, it is suspected, broke out due to an electric short circuit in a junction box. Fire tenders from Guindy and Raj Bhavan reached the spot.
Fire personnel said that the department had a cluster of labs. “We prevented the fire from spreading to other labs. It would have been a major tragedy if the fire had not been put out in time” said a fireman.
The Kotturpuram police registered a case and further investigations were on. The quantum of damage is yet to be ascertained.
The lab was closed and no researcher was allowed inside. Police were not able to ascertain immediately the cause of fire.