CM Vijay condemns deaths of three Tamil men in Karnataka forest encounter; CPI, CPM, PMK seek CBI probe
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Vijay has expressed strong concern over the deaths of three Tamil men in an alleged exchange of fire with Karnataka Forest Department personnel in Chamarajanagar district. He described the forest department’s explanation as unacceptable and called for a detailed investigation.
The incident reportedly took place in the early hours of August 15 in the Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary area. According to officials, a group suspected of entering the forest for illegal hunting was detected following a tip-off. Forest personnel reached the location, where the suspected poachers allegedly opened fire. The officials reportedly returned fire, resulting in the deaths of three men identified as Anthony Sami, John Rose Peter and Kumar.
Weapons and other material were recovered from the spot, while a postmortem examination of the bodies was under way.
In a social media statement, Vijay said the three men were Tamils living in villages in Hanur taluk and strongly condemned their deaths. He called on the Karnataka government to extend all possible support to the bereaved families.
Karnataka Chief Minister D K Shivakumar said he was informed about the incident at around 5 am and received a briefing from forest officials. He said firearms allegedly belonging to the suspected poachers had been recovered along with two bags containing wild-animal meat. He also said one person managed to escape and alleged that forest personnel had come under fire.
Shivakumar said a magistrate-level inquiry had been ordered and that appropriate action would follow based on its findings. He also indicated that compensation would be provided to the victims’ families, although the amount had not yet been decided.
Opposition leader R Ashoka criticised the circumstances of the shooting and alleged that the official account was inaccurate. The BJP has called for a judicial inquiry.
The CPI, CPM and PMK also criticised the deaths and sought a CBI investigation. The PMK additionally demanded compensation of Rs 1 crore for each family.