Symbiosis National Aptitude (SNAP) is a national level common entrance exam for securing admission in the MBA Programmes in the 15 Symbiosis Institutes affiliated to Symbiosis International University (SIU), Pune, including the highly sought after SIBM and SCMHRD management institutes.
The SNAP exam is conducted in an online mode only in a single session, consisting of multiple choice questions to be attempted in a duration of 120 minutes.
SNAP 2019 Test Process: Registration to PIWAT
Candidates who want to secure an admission to the MBA/MSc programmes offered by the Symbiosis Institutes have to appear for SNAP 2019 Exam. They need to register for the SNAP 2019 Exam by selecting the institute they want to get admission into. Separate programs have separate registration fees.
The Program Selection and Registration can be done along with the registration of SNAP 2019 Exam. Candidates who qualify the SNAP 2019 exam will be shortlisted for the GE-PIWAT (Group Exercise and Personal Interview) process. Each of the Symbiosis institution conducts the GE-PIWAT individually, post which a Final Merit List is prepared for the overall qualifying students by taking into consideration certain parameters set by the SNAP committee.
SNAP 2019 Eligibility
SNAP eligibility criteria comprises of two levels. The first one elaborates the requirements to be fulfilled by the candidate appearing for SNAP 2019 Exam, and the second one elaborates the individual eligibility criteria for admission to the 15 Symbiosis Institutes.
SIU Pune determines the SNAP 2019 Exam eligibility criteria for the candidates before the SNAP exam every year. The two levels of eligibility criteria are:
1) Candidate should have graduated from any recognized/statutory university with a minimum of 50% marks for General, 50% marks for OBC category and 45% marks for SC/ST category. Foreign university students need to obtain an equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
2) Candidate must qualify the requirements for specific discipline/ subject specialisation offered by different symbiosis institutes like SIHS Pune, SSSS Pune, SCIT Pune, SCMHRD Pune, SITM Pune, and SIOM, Nashik. Each institute has their own criteria and it is mentioned on their website.
SNAP 2019 Exam Pattern
SNAP has changed its exam format. Now, it is a computer-based online test. Most important change of the SNAP 2019 Exam is the reduction of the total number of questions from 150 to 130. The current question distribution is as follows:
|Section||Normal Questions (MCQ type)||Special Questions (Non MCQ type)||Total Questions|
|General English (reading comprehension, verbal reasoning, verbal ability)||30||5||35|
|Quantitative, Data interpretation & Data Sufficiency||30||5||35|
|Analytical & Logical Reasoning||30||5||35|
In the previous years, each section had 5 more questions. That was a total of 150 questions, and only 110 questions were of MCQ type.
SNAP 2019 Syllabus
General English: Reading Comprehension, Verbal Reasoning, Verbal Ability
- Reading Comprehension (RC) passage: There are 2 Reading Comprehension (RC) passages followed by the 10-12 questions. The RC is mostly based on facts, opinion, literature, and current affairs.
- Verbal Ability (VA): There are 20-22 questions asked in the form of Synonyms, Antonyms, Fill in the blanks, Idioms, Phrases, Vocabulary usage, Jumbled Paragraphs, Correction of errors in sentences, core grammar usage – Conditionals, Active – Passive, Indirect Narration etc. This is the scoring section of General English.
- Verbal Reasoning (VR): The section has 2-4 questions from topics such as Critical Reasoning, Analogy, identifying Parts of Speech, etc.
Quants: Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation, Data Sufficiency
- Quantitative Ability: The segment consists of 20-24 questions. The topics asked include Number System, Arithmetic- Percentage, Profit-Loss, Interest, Time-Speed-Distance, Averages, Ratio, Algebra, Linear Equations; Quadratic Equations, Logarithm, Progressions, Binomial Theorem, Surds and Indices, Inequalities, Permutation and Combination, Probability Functions, Set Theory, Mixtures and Allegations, Geometry, Co-ordinate Geometry, Trigonometry, and Mensuration.
- Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency: The segment has 10-12 questions. These deal with concepts such as Series, Graphs-Pie Chart, Tables, Bar Graph, etc.
Analytical and Logical Ability
This section includes questions from the topics such as Family Tree – Blood Relations, Seating Arrangement, Direction Sense, Clocks & Calendars, Mathematical Reasoning, Analogy, Series, Coding – Decoding, Meaningful Word, Matrix, Visual reasoning, Syllogisms, Critical Reasoning, Verbal and Miscellaneous Reasoning, etc.
This section includes questions from topics such as Business & Economics, Personalities & Awards, Sports, International Events, Science & Technology, Geography, Missions of the Countries, Miscellaneous, etc.
SNAP 2019 Marking Scheme
The SNAP 2019 Scoring Pattern would be different compared to the previous years. For the normal questions, (MCQ type), the scoring pattern is plus 1 (+1) mark for every correct answer and minus 0.25 (-0.25) for every wrong answer. There are a total of 110 questions of this type in the SNAP question paper.
For the Special Questions (non MCQ type), the scoring pattern is plus 2 (+2) for every correct answer. There are a total of 20 questions and minus 0.50 for every wrong answer in this section.
This is a bit different from previous years, which had a uniform scoring pattern for the entire paper. The scheme was plus 1 (+1) for every correct answer and minus 0.25 (- 0.25) for every wrong answer.
SNAP 2019 Key highlights
There are no major changes in the SNAP 2019 exam format and duration. Most of the things are the same.
|Negative Marking Ratio||25%|
Besides these, Symbiosis International University (SIU), Pune has consistently kept the SNAP exam date on the third Sunday of December every year.
Preparation Tips for SNAP 2019
The SNAP 2019 Exam, like most management entrance exams, requires a high level of dedication and strong preparation. The competition is exponentially high, therefore, candidates must do smart preparation. Given below are some tips for the SNAP 2019 Exam preparation.
- Take mock tests at regular intervals and assess your performance.
- Read news regularly so that you are well versed with all the current affairs.
- Focus on concepts and don’t start learning anything totally new or confusing at the last minute.
- Practice and polish your English skills by religiously taking vocabulary an RC tests and reading books.
- Increase the answering speed and aim for accuracy so that you don’t lose marks due to negative marking.
- Learn the formulas, tables, cubes, etc. which are most commonly used.
- Keep revising whatever you have prepared for better grasp.
- Prepare a strategy and a priority order for attempting the SNAP paper.
- Stay updated about the latest news related to the SNAP 2019 Exam.
- Ensure that you follow all the rules and regulations while practicing the last year papers.
The SNAP 2019 Exam will give weightage to the overall student profile: Candidates’ profile, past academic records and work experience for admission to the Postgraduate Management Programmes offering around 1867 seats. The SNAP 2019 Results will be out in the fourth week of January.