6 die of asphyxiation while clearning septic tank near Chennai

Six died of noxious gas inhalation and asphyxia while clearning the septic tank of an apartment complex near Sriperumbudur near Chennai.

The victims included a man and his two sons, sources said. Despite stringent laws by the government, such deaths continue to happen.

In January this year in Coimbatore, two brothers died of asphyxiation while cleaning a clogged septic tank pit in Thiru Nagar near Singanallur.

The residents of Thiru Nagar Housing Unit employed N Murugan (33) and his brother A Pandi Durai, residents of CMC Colony in Uppilipalayam, to unclog a septic tank.

On seeing his brother fall, Murugan rushed to the mouth of the drain, but he too inhaled the toxic gases and slipped into it.

In the same month, two men died of asphyxiation while cleaning a septic tank at a factory in SIPCOT, Thirumazhisai on Sunday.

A factory manufacturing brake shoes for cars had hired Vivekanandan (27), a sewage tanker driver and Veera (25), his assistant to clean the septic tank at their premises.

According to police, Veera first went inside the 15-feet-deep tank. As he did not respond for over 20 minutes, Vivekanandan also went inside. As the duo did not return for a long time, the security staff informed fire officials and cops.

Fire personnel found the men had been asphyxiated and their bodies were brought out from the tank.

In October 2018, two workers died of asphyxiation after they fell into the septic tank of a factory owned by a leading battery manufacturer in Hosur.

S Nagesh (25) and N Manjunath (35), who were working at the manufacturing unit of Exide Industries Limited in Sevaganapalli village near Hosur, died during the accident.